Brother Angus Scrumbleton, III.
A hyper, floppy, endlessly hungry, fart machine.
We found out about Angus and his brothers and sisters being born in a small town just a little way from Omaha. We went out to visit the puppies and this one little guy snuggled into my collar bone and started making grumpy puppy noises and that was that.
We left him to grow and flourish with his mom, but unfortunately, she passed away unexpectedly before the puppies were weaned. Sometimes Angus still misses his Momma.
We had big plans to train Angus perfectly. To have him be one of those dogs that doesn’t even have to be on a leash. That listens and is quiet and sweet.
Then, I got unexpectedly (and joyously) pregnant when Angus was five months old. And all our plans, for dog and general life alike, flew out the window.
Now we’re living in a two-bedroom house with two children (one twelve-going-on-seventeen, the other a one-and-a-half-year-old Queen), Angus (a black lab), Donald & Betty – my ancient cats, and Jefe the Leopard Gecko. Meanwhile, Brendan and I are sleeping in what used to be our front office.
It’s a lot. A lot of living creatures.
75 animals. (Angus equals 72 normal animals.)
A lone Virgo.
Finding time to just ‘Bake For the Fun of It’ is a laughable possibility in this house. But, on the rare occasion or holiday, when I have the time to make something, cookies are my go-to.
And these cookies, from my grandma DeVona (my daughter’s namesake), are so so SO good. They are Coffee. They are Pecan. And heck if they aren’t Fancy.
Coffee Pecan Fancies
Makes: 5 dozen cookies
- 1/2 C unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 C sugar
- 1/2 C light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 T instant coffee
- 1 egg
- 1 C sifted flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 C finely chopped pecans
- Stand mixer or hand mixer
- Wooden spoon
- Various measuring cups, spoons, etc.
- Chef’s knife
- Cutting board
- Baking sheets
- Cream butter and gradually beat in both white and brown sugar, vanilla extract, instant coffee, and egg.
- Sift flour with salt, then gradually add to wet mixture to form the dough.
- Stir in pecans.
- Chill the dough for at least 1 hour or until ready to use.
- Preheat your oven to 350 F/180 C/Gas Mark 4.
- Lightly grease the baking sheets. Roll the dough into marble sized balls and place on baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until lightly brown. Cool on cooling rack.
One thought on “Coffee Pecan Fancies & Man’s Best Friend”